Thursday, October 13

Texan in a Popsicle Suit

The temperature is falling and my brrrr factor is in high gear. Mocha has taken up residence at the head of the bed, despite the fact that she has her own comfy, cushy, color-coordinated dog bed. I don't mind. I welcome the extra body heat. I always thought "they" called it fall because leaves fell gracefully from the trees. I call it fall because things are literally falling from the sky and making loud booming noises when they hit the tin roofs of all the buildings on the land. I'm told they are "buck-eyes". They look to me like neon green golf balls. One actually hit the top of my car as I was winding through the hills at 50 mph. Scared the beeJesus out of me. Other things that are falling...somewhere near the ridge someone is either setting off explosives (there are "blasting zones" around here) or it's zealous deer hunters in the wildlife preserve that backs up to the property at Penuel Ridge.

Fall is noisy or maybe that's just the sound of my teeth chattering.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would love to see you in your hard hat :)

KC said...

My dad kept a buckeye in his pocket for luck. . . Having just typed that and realizing that you'll know I'm not REALLY this insensitive . . . I'll admit that it just hit me that if he died at 40, I'm not sure that says alot about the validity of the luck factor!

Funny how your weather posts kept making me homesick!

Finding the Happy said...

He may have been on this Earth for fewer years had he not carried that buckeye in his pocket...

Thank goodness we have had a few warm days...I'm starting the thaw out!

Finding the Happy said...

Update...I'm told the large green objects falling from the sky could also be black walnuts. Apparently, we have both buckeye and black walnut trees on the Ridge.