Friday, August 15

Friday Tapas

I close my eyes and let the week play back behind shuttered lids and what do I see?

Flashing lights
High shrieking voices
Ringing bells
Exploding balloons
Too vibrant colors

Think midway games at a Hitchcock-inspired carnival. Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Friday

If one is very good or very lucky, the aroma of freshly-brewed coffee might be your wakeup call. This morning I awoke to the aroma of paint...neither good nor lucky.

Thursday

Juggling balls of fire, on a unicycle, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind my back. Entertaining as hell to the onlooker, but to the person in the ring a bit treacherous.

Wednesday

A hug from a father newly sober, no longer homeless, rebuilding his life and home with love, blessings and hope.

Tuesday

The vibrational difference between gratitude and appreciation became clearer to me today. This clarity has helped me be more intentional about how I use these words in dialogue. Gratitude is comfort satisfied or discomfort alleviated, a state of reaction to the resolution of real or perceived discord. Appreciation is a sensitive awareness to all that is good, a feeling created from a place of abundance rather than lack. For example:

Gratitude: Thank you for the bowl of soup you gave me as I had nothing to eat.

Appreciation: Thank you for sharing your soup with me. Your kindness and generosity is appreciated.

Monday

A day of emotional and intellectual dynamics that started pianissimo, crescendoed to a double forte then dropped back to pianissimo by the end of the day.

No comments: