Saturday, November 26

Before the First Snow

I'm replaying conversations in my head on a non-stop loop. It's the mental equivalent of watching the planes fly into the twin towers over and over again so my brain can believe what my eyes are seeing. This is not healthy for me, so I've devised a brilliant aversion therapy technique. Whenever the loop starts, I go outside.

So, I'm standing outside in below freezing temperatures with the loop running in my head and I realize, damn it's cold...I've gotta stop thinking about this stuff or I'm going to freeze to death. This is good...this is better than snapping a rubber band on my wrist. It's better for my house too, not to be absorbing these waves of heartache that ooze out of me and onto the floor.

Winter has just begun. With any luck, I'll be cured before the first snow.

No comments: