Thursday, May 29

Sitting at the Computer, Shaking my Head

These things have happened in the last 10 hours:

A teenager fell asleep at the wheel, drove off the road, took out our sign, part of the fence and garbage can stand. Other than bumps and bruises, he wasn't hurt. Now rebuilding begins and will take a heaping dose of good will and faith because the parents don't want to have a claim against their insurance. I can imagine insuring a teenager is bad enough without adding this to his "record". Someone was kind to me once and did the same. I think this is what's referred to as "paying it forward."

This morning at 5:15 I heard a tentative voice calling my name. A retreatant woke me to report the presence of a bat in the toilet. Once my sleeping brain processed this, it was time for action. With fishing net and gloves in hand, the extraction began, which wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I gently took him/her (?) outside and found a safe place for it to rest and recuperate. That was five hours ago and it's still hanging upside down sleeping. I'm adding "bat wrangler" to my resume.

That's the little buddy hanging upside down on the tree trunk. Cute toes huh?

No comments: