Wednesday, February 1

Make Mine a Double

I was torn as whether or not to watch the State of the Union speech last night. I've learned to keep soft, throwable items near me so as not to shatter the screen when W dons his infamous smirk and tells us everything is just fine.

So at 8:00 pm, central standard time, I braced up and attempted to be a responsible, informed citizen of these United States and listen in. Immediately, I realized I couldn't even look at the screen, so I averted my eyes and listened...so far so good. Within 30 seconds, I began tossing anything I could get my hands on at the screen, shouting retorts at the top of my lungs. After battling a very nasty cold/flu for the past week, I just didn't have the energy to sit through it, so I went upstairs to check my email...a much better use of my time. With about 10 minutes remaining in the speech, I went back downstairs, thinking it would be safe as he'd be wrapping up with all the good news we dutiful citizens were supposed to believe. I was wrong...the first sound that registered in my ears was our President once again butchering the pronunciation of nuclear.

Is it too much to ask that the leader of our nation have a command of the English language? For God's sake, he's been in the public arena for more than a decade! Don't you think someone in his administration would have pulled him to the side by now and tutored him, as they do on everything else?

I know in the grand scheme of things, this is the least of our worries, but if W can't pronounce a 3 syllable word properly, how can he possibly begin to address the ills of our nation? I headed for the liquor, telling myself it was for medicinal purposes to quiet my seizing cough. I'm afraid the tightness in my chest has nothing to do with the common cold but the ineptitude of a corrupt and delusional man.

2 comments:

TUFFENUF said...

I couldn't watch, I tried to - but as soon as he walked in, I hit the off button and went for a walk. I have never despised a public official this much. Will this administration EVER be over?

Big Shot Bob said...

I joined the club, and did not watch either. It is was a pleasant evening without the W.

I am addicted to Life.

Peace!!